In July 2014 we had so many big things to do for our project! We went to camp four times as missionaries (read the post below about that).
|July schedule. In the end we made way more than 200 cupcakes per session of camp!|
|Livvy made all the cakes for this order. We used 6 cake mixes!|
|frosting the dummy cakes|
|rolling out the fondant…see our cool aprons that Eli & Mason’s mom designed for us?|
|getting Livvy started on the frosting of the sheet cake|
|smoothing the fondant|
|the roses go on frozen|
|serving sheet cake with white roses|
Now we had to put the three layers together. This is where the drama started. We were all really worried about putting the dowel into the center of the cake to secure the layers and somehow, we were so worried about that part, we forgot the most important things that the chefs had taught us about putting in dowels to support the layers! The whole time I was pounding in the dowel we were praying over the cake. That was about the third time we had prayed over the cake at that point. The cake bounces when you pound in the dowel and I hate that part so much! In fact, I had my mom pound it in for a little bit because I didn’t even want to watch it bounce! No sooner did we have the dowel in than we realized that we had forgotten something very important…the bottom cake layer was starting to have the wrinkles!
|driving in the dowel is my least favorite part|
What we didn’t know at that time, is that mom was calling our other good friend, Denise. (She is the kind lady that has made our logo and our website!) Denise used to make cakes for a living and she and my mom and Bev are best friends. So mom called to pray with Denise but Denise also gave my mom advice. She told mom how we could actually save the cake! So my mom came home with the three cake mixes just in case something went wrong, but she also came home with a tall vase and some small stones that look like marbles. We prayed over the cake and we started to work on fixing it. Carefully, we all three lifted the two top dummy cakes off the bottom layer and placed the dowel down into the marble-stones and rested it on the vase. Then, we put the pvc pipes that we cut to 4″ pieces down into the cake layer really carefully. (This is the part that should have been done in the first place, before putting the dummy cakes on the real bottom cake layer). Next, we re-smoothed the fondant and took out the wrinkles. Then, we stenciled the bottom layer and finally we put the top back on.
|The wedding cake with a belly-button|
|dabbing a little frosting on to fix a little scratch|
|The finished cake, all fixed and ready to go|
|The groom picking up the cakes|
|strategically placed flowers helped a lot!|
|The cake looked beautiful at the reception!|